Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is not a pudding for dessert, but more like a casserole to be served as a side dish.
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Place the carrots in a saucepan and add enough water to cover by one inch; bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce to a simmer and cook until fork-tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain the carrots and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree the carrots in a food processor; add lemon juice,, blend, then transfer to a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 2-quart souffle dish or casserole with 1 tbsp of the butter; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix 4 tbsp butter, sugar, flour, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg, beating until smooth.
- Add the onion and pureed carrots, and mix well; then add the milk and eggs and mix until smooth.
- Place the mixture into the prepared dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50 min-1 hour or until the pudding is puffed and lightly browned and the center is firm to the touch.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: the pudding can be assembled several hours ahead, covered and refrigerated, then removed from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking.