Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My adaptation of one in Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons. I like the colour and hearty flavour of this. It's a really satisfying substitute for meat in a burger. You may use canned beans which cuts down on production time.
- 2 -4 tablespoons corn oil or 2 -4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup hulled sunflower seeds or 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds or 1⁄4 cup your favourite nuts, chopped.
- 1 cup cooked drained chickpeas or 1 cup lentils or 1 cup black beans or 1 cup adzuki beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms or 1 cup small-diced firm tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 2 tablespoons miso
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- unbleached flour (for dredging)
- Saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Do not brown.
- Add coriander and cumin and cook 2 more minutes.
- If using mushrooms, add and saute 5 minutes more.
- Put the onion, mushroom,spice mixture in a large bowl and add the grated carrots, nuts, parsley, salt (or miso) and pepper.
- Process the rice and beans until pureed.
- Add to the bowl.
- If using tofu, add to the bowl now.
- Mix the works gently with your hands (yes, your hands) to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Don't pound or mush.
- Dust your hands well with flour and form the mix into six generous patties, squeezing firmly.
- In a large iron skillet, heat the rest of the oil on medium.
- Without crowding them, cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Wow!! Yummm, this tastes much better than I thought it would, what a great consistancy and flavor! Thoroughly enjoyed it and planning to make it regularly especially for my veggie Dad. I used walnuts, black beans, portobello mushrooms.
These were GREAT! It made a nice hearty patty and tasted fabulous! I used miso for the salt and adzuki beans. I served the patties with garlic mashed potatoes and a mushroom gravy over both. Mmmm.......
I'm not a vegetarian, but I like trying new recipes and I am trying to eat healthier. I used chickpeas, sunflower seeds, and canned mushrooms and the burgers were awesome. I served it with sweet potato hash (#403476) for a completely vegetarian meal and it was delicious. I'll definitely make this again.