Recipe by Lennie
This unique Indian dessert was found in the cookbook, Vancouver Entertains.
Top Review by Sunbeam
Lennie, I've made this so many times now - I've lost count and with great reviews. Thanks a bunch for a great Indian sweet - the measurements are perfect. Will be making it again to welcome the New Year!! :)
- 1⁄2 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Spread almonds and pistachio nuts in separate shallow baking pans and toast in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, turning once; remove and cool.
- Heat butter in a saucepan.
- Add carrots; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Scald milk in another saucepan; add milk to carrots and cook for 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until milk is absorbed.
- Add sugar and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add almonds, and raisins if you're using them.
- Spread carrot mixture on a large platter and shape into a mound; decorate surface with pistachio nuts.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.