1 hr 20 mins
From a cookbook I'm editing by a gifted Texas chef named Nancy Moorman. Puffy, creamy texture with a delicate carrot taste. The topping makes it, so I don't recommend omitting it. I made it in a 1 1/2-quart baking dish instead of individuals.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- grated parmesan cheese, to coat the molds
- 4 -6 cups water
- 5 large garlic cloves, cut into halves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh savory
- 1/3 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb
- 1For the flan, sprinkle six buttered 1/2-cup molds lightly with cheese. Combine the water, garlic, sugar, and carrots in a saucepan and bring a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutesor until the carrots are tender; drain. Process the carrot mixture in a food processor until smooth. Add the half-and-half and process to blend well. Add the eggs, 2 tablespoons cheese, the salt and pepper and mix well.
- 2Spoon the mixture into the prepared molds and place in a shallow roasting pan. Add enough hot water to reach 1 inch up the sides of the molds. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until set.
- 3For the topping, melt the butter in a saute pan. Add the thyme and mix well. Add the bread crumbs and toss to coat. Toast over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp.
- 4Let the flane cool for 5 minutes and sprinkle with crumbs. (Or unmold onto a serving platter, if you have that sort of pan.)
- 5TO MAKE AHEAD AND REHEAT: refrigerate, then reheat at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. (But I microwaved it and it was fine.).
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Flan With Thyme Crumb Topping
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.8
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 182.4 mg
- Sodium 646.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 9.3 g