Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A healthy, delicious and filling soup, that is easy to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 8 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 -8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add cashews and stir constantly until golden brown and toasted. Use caution nuts burn very easily. Remove nuts and set aside.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add ginger, garlic, salt, and spices. Lower the heat and continue to saute for another 8-10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Add carrots, turnips, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a rolling boil and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add cashews. Cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Use a immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth. Add water as necessary to reach desired consistency.