Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cupcakes are delicious. The orange zest frosting makes them look and taste fancier than just any cupcake. I only had baby carrots on hand and it came out fine so i don't think it makes a huge difference in flavor except that they are a bit sweeter.
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or do what i did and use heart shaped silicone cupcake cups (they are so cute!).
- 2.combine sugar, oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl. Combine rest of dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add to oil mixture until smooth. Fold in carrots and raisins.
- 3. Spoon batter into cups and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and springy when touched. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then tranfer to a rack to cool completely.
- 4. Combine confectioners' sugar, juice and zest in a bowl until smooth. Spread some on each cake and let stand 15 minutes before serving.