Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
We love the mustard based sauce of Mid-South Carolina, but feel free to use your favorite.bbq sauce. Parts and pieces of this recipe come from Cook's Illustrated. Serve on homemade buns . . . Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns with your favorite cole slaw!
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 1 (3 -4 lb) boneless pork butt
- 2 sweet onions, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
Mid-South Carolina Mustard Sauce
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard or 6 tablespoons mustard, of your choice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (for thickening) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (for thickening) (optional)
- Combine spice rub ingredients and thoroughly coat the pork roast.
- Place onions and ham hocks in bottom of slow-cooker.
- Place pork butt on top of ham hocks, tucking meat down into slow cooker as far as possible.
- Pour chicken broth over pork, cover with lid, and cook on low until pork is very tender, 8 to 10 hours until tender.
- Transfer pork butt and ham hocks to baking sheet. Reserve juices.
- Separate pork butt into large chunks.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, shred pork butt and ham hocks, discarding excess fat and small bones from ham hocks.
- Return to crockpot with 1/2 cup of reserved cooking liquid.
- For the sauce:.
- In medium bowl, mix all ingredients, including pepper to taste.
- Pour half of the sauce over shredded pork and mix thoroughly. Using reserved cooking juices if more liquid is needed.
- Serve on warm buns ( Recipe #318739 )and pass extra sauce.