Recipe by AreThree
Not your average Beef Stew. Chunks of beef in a rich tomato base with a kick! After browsing the recipes on here, I thought I would try to invent my own!
Top Review by Valcatraz
I used to work at a Tex Mex restaurant and they had the best carne guisada. This tasted almost exactly like it. However, their sauce/gravy was more brown in color so I don't know if they used tomatoes. Their recipe also didn't include potatoes, but I liked it with the potatoes. It kind of reminded me of the meat and potato burritos at Taco Bell which I also like (not the flavor, just the ingredients). I didn't have any green chilies, but I used jalapenos and it was plenty spicy. I also used rotel with lime juice and cilantro in it (I love cilantro) and I think it added some nice flavor. I only had to let it simmer for 1.5 hours and the meat was nice and tender. I served mine with just flour tortillas, cheese, and sour cream to cool the spiciness. Even my picky kids enjoyed this dish. Will definitely make again!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew beef chunks (or nicer if you like)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) canof diced jalapenos
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion into half-rings. Set aside.
- Dice Garlic and set aside.
- In a large pot, add Vegetable oil to cover bottom. Heat on high heat.
- When oil is hot, add cubed beef and quickly stir so that all sides get brown.
- Allow beef to cook in its own juices.
- When beef is a bit brown, lower heat to med-high and add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender.
- Lower heat to medium and add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies, and jalapenos.
- Add beef broth, cumin, and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Wash and peel potatoes and cut into same size chunks as beef. Add to the pot.
- Let simmer on low to med-low for 2 hours or until potatoes are done.
- Serve with warm Flour Tortillas.