5 hrs 20 mins
Deep South's Note:
This easy, flavor-filled pork can be sliced, drizzled with gravy and served with black beans, rice and plantains, or it can be shredded and served on toasted Cuban bread with pork gravy dipping sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -5 lb) boneless pork roast
- 1/4 cup oil, for sauteeing
- 12 ounces mojo criollo, marinating sauce (different brands available in most grocery stores with Hispanic foods)
- 2 (3/4 ounce) envelopes pork gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar or 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2 onions, sliced
- Cuban bread, for sandwiches (optional)
- 1Put the roast and mojo criollo sauce in a large plastic bag. If the roast is very thick, you may cut it in half before marinating.
- 2Refrigerate 24-48 hours, turning 2-3 times daily.
- 3Reserve marinade.
- 4Heat oil in a large skillet and lightly brown the roast, 2-3 minutes on each side. Place roast in a slow cooker.
- 5In a mixing bowl, wisk together the reserved marinade, water, pork gravy mix and vinegar. Pour over the roast. Add bay leaves and sliced onions.
- 6Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. (Slow cookers may vary.).
- 7Remove the pork and onions from the cooker, reserving the gravy. Discard the bay leaves.
- 8Served sliced or shredded. SLICED: Slice the pork into medallions and serve with gravy and onions. SHREDDED: Shred the pork, adding some gravy to keep it moist. Pile onto crusty Cuban bread and serve with gravy for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Pork Roast
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.4
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 259.9 mg
- Sodium 172.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 86.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pork gravy mix