Recipe by Tish
A filling easy soup to make...takes a little preparation if you use dried black beans, but worth the effort.
Top Review by MichMondello
First time doing black bean soup in a crock pot. Worked great! I added extra cumin as we love it here. Also had more ham than it called for but it turned out perfect. I had to cook it for about 5 1/2 hours to get the beans as tender as I like them. Served it was some pickled onions on top, hubby loved it!
- 1 lb dried black beans, washed and sorted
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ham hocks or 3⁄4 cup cubed ham
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in 4 quarts water.
- Combine beans, onion, green pepper, garlic, ham, oil, cumin, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and 3 cups of fresh water.
- Stir Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- For thick soup, remove half of cooked bean mixture and puree until smooth in blender or mash with a potato masher.
- Return to cooker.
- If you like it souper, leave it as is.
- Add vinegar and stir well.
- Debone the ham hock if you used one and cut into bite sized pieces, and return to the soup Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of sour cream in the middle of each serving, topped with fresh cilantro.