Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a neat jam recipe!
- 5 ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise and cut into thirds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur
- Peel bananas; mash with fork.
- In heavy saucepan, combine banana, lime juice, orange juice, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently simmer the banana jam until thick, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in liqueur and remove pan from heat.
- Leave vanilla bean in jam and spoon jam into three 6-oz sterilized canning jars.
- Fill jars within one-eighth inch of the top; screw on lids.
- Invert the jars for 5 minutes, then re-invert.
- Let jam cool to room temperature.
- *Store in cool, dark place.
- Refrigerate jam when opened. Will keep several weeks.
This is AWESOME jam! I love the tangy banana flavor, and the texture was just perfect. Very easy to make. I made only two changes. I didn't have any banana liqueur, so I just left it out (and it was perfectly delicious without). I'm also iffy on the safety of the inversion method for canning, so I used the water bath canning method instead, boiling for 10 minutes. Next time, I'm going to try doubling the recipe, and I may experiment a little with some spices, maybe a dash of allspice for an extra Caribbean kick. This is definitely a keeper - thank you SO much for posting it!