Recipe by Rita~
This is a kicked up version of my Caramelized Onions. Garnish a steak or just top a good slice of bread as my DD would do. Top those burgers for the super bowl games. I do love caramelized onions but this is really good with the added sherry gives it a creaminess. This makes a great start to onions soup!
Top Review by TxGriffLover
YUM! Rita, I love these caramelized onions. The sherry really makes the dish. I used fresh thyme and rosemary from my garden and followed your recipe to a 'T'. Everything just marries together. I will definitely add these to my rotation. Made and devoured for ZWT5, for Hell's Kitchen Angels.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb yellow onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter over medium high heat till it stops sizzling.
- Add onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add the thyme,rosemary, salt, and pepper, brown sugar and stir well to combine.
- Cook for 5-15 more minutes.
- Add sherry and reduce.