Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
You don't need a lot of fat to make a great dish. These onions are wonderful over steaks, chops, hamburgers, pizzas, inside quesadillas, on top of brushetta, in frittatas and omelettes or beaten into mashed potatoes. You can double the batch, but cook the onions in two large skillets or they will not brown properly. Freeze leftovers in smaller containers.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add onions and garlic, reduce heat to medium and cook for a few minutes without stirring to allow onions to brown a little on bottom. Stir and cook for 5 minutes longer, until onions are evenly golden and wilted.
- Sprinkle onions with sugar and vinegar. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, until onions are browned and tender.
- Season with salt and stir in parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.