Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
A wonderful side dish! Recipe by Grace Parisi from The Thanksgiving Guide. Food & Wine Magazine, June 2007 edition.
- Melt the butter in a large deep skillet.
- Add the onions and 3 tablespoons of the vinegar and cook over moderate heat until they begin to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the brussels sprouts until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the brussels sprouts to the onions.
- Stir in the sugar and the remaining 3 tablespoons of vinegar and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until the brussels sprouts are tender and lightly caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl, garnish with the pistachios and serve.
I made this several months ago and of course forgot to review the recipe. Red wine replaced red wine vinegar because I misread the ingredient. This was delicious but I wish I could remember what I served it with...ribeye steak, fresh pasta? I think you could substitute another nut such as walnuts or hazelnuts and it would still earn a special spot on your dining table. Thanks!