1/1 Photo of Caramelized Apple, Sausage & Fennel Stuffing
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Tyler's Cook's Note:
This recipe is from Cooking Light Nov '11. I have listed some of the changes or adaptions that I did as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces. You can use pre-cut, pre-toasted bread as well
- 3 Italian sausage, links. (I use two sweet and one hot)
- 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/4 cups sliced fennel bulbs (One large bunch)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chopped golden delicious apples (about 3 apples)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 11. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 22. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until golden, stirring after 8 minutes. Place in a large bowl.
- 33. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add sausage to bread.
- 44. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 3 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic). Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add vegetables to sausage mixture.
- 55. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add apple and sugar; sauté 5 minutes or until apple caramelizes, stirring occasionally. Add to the sausage mixture.
- 66. Combine broth (NOT TOO MUCH! It will be mushy) and eggs in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to sausage mixture; toss well to combine.
- 77. Spoon sausage mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover dish; bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- 88. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Apple, Sausage & Fennel Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.2
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 42.8 mg
- Sodium 518.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 10.0 g