Recipe by donna in niagara falls
This recipe is from my cousin who is a great cook. They are one of my favorite squares.
Top Review by tinaki99
Family and guests alike, all loved it; the few pieces that remained uneaten were eaten the following day and they tasted even better - this could be one of those recipes where the taste and texture of the final product is enriched with time.
I didnt add nuts bec I wasnt sure if our guests suffered from a nut allergy, and $it turned out just fine; though I would've loved the crunchiness of nuts, such as almonds, which are our favourite. Will add nuts next time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: cream butter.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add beaten egg yolks and beat well.
- Add flour and combine thoroughly.
- Spread mixture in bottom of greased 8" square pan.
- For topping: beat 2 egg whites until stiff.
- Blend in lightly packed brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, salt and fold in nuts.
- Spread over crust.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 min.