Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
One of my favorite cakes, although I have never baked them in two round cake pans I can't see any reason not to ,the baking time would be adjusted slightly..
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 7 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 7 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and all three spices.
- Mix well; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, oil and water together.
- Stir in lemon juice, beat for 2 minutes.
- Gradually beat into dry ingredients, until smooth.
- In another small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry; Fold into batter, mix well (do not beat).
- Pour batter into buttered prepared baking pan.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, or until cake test done.
- TO MAKE ICING: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour and salt.
- Cook for 1 minute while stirring (do not brown butter).
- Stir in cream; cook until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add in brown sugar, mix well.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add icing sugar and vanilla; mix well.
- Spread cake with caramel icing; serve immediately.
This was excellent! It was a lot of fun to make because it's not your traditional recipe. I added a 1/4 teaspoon of allspice with the other spices. Also, it baked in 45 minutes. Keep an eye on it because it will brown up pretty fast! A nice tall cake and very moist. My family loved it!