1 hr 10 mins
One of my favorite cakes, although I have never baked them in two round cake pans I can't see any reason not to ,the baking time would be adjusted slightly..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- 3In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and all three spices.
- 4Mix well; set aside.
- 5In another bowl, beat egg yolks, oil and water together.
- 6Stir in lemon juice, beat for 2 minutes.
- 7Gradually beat into dry ingredients, until smooth.
- 8In another small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry; Fold into batter, mix well (do not beat).
- 9Pour batter into buttered prepared baking pan.
- 10Bake 50-55 minutes, or until cake test done.
- 11TO MAKE ICING: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour and salt.
- 12Cook for 1 minute while stirring (do not brown butter).
- 13Stir in cream; cook until mixture thickens.
- 14Remove from heat and add in brown sugar, mix well.
- 15Let cool for 5 minutes.
- 16Add icing sugar and vanilla; mix well.
- 17Spread cake with caramel icing; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Spice Cake
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.5
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 158.2 mg
- Sodium 442.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 68.0 g
- Protein 7.4 g