Old Fashioned Cherry Nut Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I use a NordicWare bundt cake pans for wonderful shapes and even heat distribution.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, chunky pieces not crumbs
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, well drained on a paper towel and halved
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour, remove 2 tablespoons to use to coat the walnuts and cherries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl or container, mix together granulated sugar and ground cinnamon and set aside.
- In another small bowl mix together the walnuts, cherries and 2 tablespoons of flour to coat. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and margarine.
- Beat in vanilla and almond extracts and eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream and buttermilk.
- Sift together: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and add to wet ingredients.
- Fold in the nuts and cherries.
- Spray the bundt pan heavily with Pam and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Pour in the batter.
- Bake for 27 to 35 minutes on middle rack, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION