Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
In this recipe, a little caramel flavor goes a long way. Although the serving size is small, there's plenty of satisfying sweet taste and crunchy texture. This recipe makes a big batch and can be stored in an airtight continer and kept for about 1 week. I got this recipe off the American Diabetes Association website.
- 12 cups plain air popped popcorn (about 1 cup unpopped)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons stick margarine
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cover 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the popped popcorn on the baking sheets in a single layer.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, combine the sugar, margarine, and syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly about 3 minutes. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture turns a light caramel color, 5 minutes; do not overcook of the caramel will and burn! Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn. When the caramel has cooled, break it into bite-sized pieces.