Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
from TOH--runner-up in the "Absolutely Apples!" contest
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, chilled
- 8 cups thinly sliced tart apples (try using a mix of varieties)
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1 cup apple cider, divided
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut butter into mixture until crumbly.
- Press half of the oat mixture into the baking dish. Top with half of the apples, half of the caramels, and 1 cup oat mixture. Repeat layers. Pour 1/2 c cider over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350* F for 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining cider. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender.
My family and I really liked this recipe. I have already made it twice. I also added chopped walnuts to the dry mix. Thank you for the recipe.
My husbands loves this recipe. I find it a bit too sweet, but he's the one that I bake for, so I don't count. LoL! :)