Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 lbs fryer, cut up
- 3 tablespoons brown gravy
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- green onion (optional)
- Place chicken in enough boiling water to cover.
- Add brown gravy sauce, pepper and 1 tsp sugar.
- Cook slowly for 15 minutes.
- Drain, pat dry and let drip from strainer.
- Brown or bake chicken in hot oil until golden brown.
- Cover and cook slowly for 20 minutes.
- Remove and place on platter.
- Pour off all but 3 tbsp oil.
- Add waterchestnuts, mushrooms, broth, soy sauce, salt and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serve with rice.