Recipe by Barb G.
This Tasty salad is made with cantaloupe balls, lettuce and a balsamic dressing. Diced prosciutto or other meats can be added for a hardier salad. Dressing is also good served warm over a spinach salad. Makes a great marinade for shellfish or poultry.
Top Review by charlesdlou_6821220
This dressing takes a little time to prepare, but is really worth it. I found that it looked awful though and improved its looks greatly by emulsifying in a mini food processor. I fixed it for a "company" dinner and everyone loved it. The cantaloupe is a refreshing addition to a green salad.
- 6 cups lettuce leaves, baby greens,spring mix
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cups cantaloupe, balls or cubes
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare salad dressing; In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the 1/2 olive oil and add 1/4 cup onions.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until onions are transparent and lightly golden.
- Remove onion from oil with slotted spoon.
- Increase heat to mediun-high.
- Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and the 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Carefully add the 2 tablespoons brown sugar (It may splatter) Boil one minute more,Add 1/2 the onions.
- (Save remaining for another use.) Cool and store dressing in Refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large Salad bowl, mix greens, onion and cantaloupe balls or cubes.
- Add dressing a little at a time and toss.
- Add pepper and enjoy.