Recipe by Chef Jen #1
I've always loved homemade spaghetti sauce and this one is my favorite. If you like your sauce chunky don't run through food mill, I usually make some smooth and some chunky. Also the original recipe called for 2 Hot peppers to be cooked in the oil with the garlic and onions.
Top Review by mary winecoff
Great taste and super thick (the way we like it). I used my pressure cooker to can the finished product and can't wait till this winter to open this can of summer. Thanks for sharing.
- 1⁄2 bushel fresh tomato (26 1/2 lbs)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning mix
- 1 (5 ounce) package spaghetti sauce mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tomatoes, run through food processor, then through food mill, and put into a large pan to cook.
- Meanwhile cut up the garlic and onions and cook in oil in a separate pan, then run through the food mill.
- Add onions, garlic, and remaining ingredients to tomatoes and slowly heat to a boil. Boil stirring occasionally until thick (about 2 hours).
- To can, pour into clean hot quart jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process 40 minute in a boiling water bath.