Recipe by kmax
This recipe was given to me years ago and it makes a delicious apple crisp. It makes a lot of juice so you can use a generous amount of apples. I mix all the ingredients together and pack into jars hot as you would for pickles. I'll write the recipe as it was given to me.
Top Review by pickles_ca
I would have to give this recipe a 5* for taste - but I am a bit concerned about the use of cornstarch. I guess you are 'supposed' to use a product called ClearJel because cornstarch is 'unstable'. That said, my sister-in-law uses it all the time with no problem. This is the first time I tried canning apple slices. I made the apple crisp last week when my daughter came home from school (we don't usually eat dessert) and it was delicious! I have 4 more cans in my fruit cellar and I will make it again next year - perhaps using the ClearJel cooking starch, just to be safe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups of packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 generous quarts thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 8 pounds)
- above is for the canned apple
- apple, crisp recipe (using the prepared filling)
- 1 quart , filling
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugars, corn starch, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in 4-quart duch oven. Stir in water, heat to boiling stirring often.
- Reduce heaat, cook stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Pack hot sterlized jars 1/3 of apple slices
- Pour on enough syrup to cover slices.
- Remove air bubbles with handle of wooden spoon.
- Continue packing jars 1/3 at a time with apple slices, then syrup.
- When filled to within 1 inch of tops, seal jars.
- Process in boiling water bath for 20 minute.
- When cool, tighten lids, but not too tight.
- Apple Crisp.
- 375 oven.
- Spread apple filling in greased baking dish 8x8.
- Mix remaining ingredients with fork, mixture should be crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of filling.
- Bake 35 minute.
- For a gift I put this in a zip lock bag, except for the butter and put a jar of apple filling with it.