Basic recipe from Woman's World 12/18/08, but I have added instructions for an Oreo pie crust. Preparation time includes chilling time. To allow advance preparation of the whipped cream topping, I use Kate's Chantilly Cream - Stabilized Whipped Cream With Vanilla #485591. Made 12/18/13: whipped cream was unnecessary; vanilla layer did not impress, why not use chocolate mint as a contrast? Used 12 Star Light peppermint candies in clock face layout and crushed 6 candies to sprinkle over top. I recommend using a rich ice cream so that it will soften easily. Edy's Grand Peppermint was super in this.
OREO PIE CRUST
- 20 Oreo cookies, crumbled (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
ICE CREAM FILLING
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 10 Oreo cookies, crushed (1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts peppermint ice cream, softened
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- wilton red-red concentrated food coloring (optional)
- 12 -18 starlight peppermint candies, for garnish (optional)
- MAKE OREO PIE CRUST:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Mix Oreo crumbs and melted butter together.
- Press into 9" deep-dish pie pan bottom and sides.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- PREPARE ICE CREAM FILLING:.
- Spread softened vanilla ice cream over bottom of pie crust.
- Sprinkle with crushed cookies.
- Freeze until set, about 1 hour.
- Spread softened peppermint ice cream over cookie layer, mounding slightly in center.
- Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
- PREPARE WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING JUST BEFORE SERVING:.
- On medium-high speed, beat cream with sugar until stiff peaks form.
- If desired, fit large star tip into large pastry bag. Using small, clean brush, starting at tip of bag, paint 5 long lines of food coloring inside bag, ending 1 inch from top edge. Fill bag with whipped cream. Pipe rosettes.
- If not using pastry bag, spread plain whipped cream over pie.
- If desired, garnish with peppermint candies.