Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My problem with Mac and Cheese is it's never cheesy enough. This one even impresses my younger daughter, who is a Kraft Mac and Cheese fan.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; saute onion and ham until onion is soft.
- Add flour and cook, stirring until well mixed.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until just melted.
- While making sauce, cook macaroni in a separate pot, until tender but firm.
- Drain and put back into pot.
- Combine with sauce, then pour into a 2 litre baking dish or casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combine parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
- Broil for about 3 minutes, until brown.
This was good, and very easy to put together but I did find it a bit bland and not very cheesy. Couldn't really taste the ham either. My toddler liked it still though:)
We wished it was more cheesy. It was moist and tasty, and I liked that it was done so quickly.
Awesome mac n cheese! Big hit with the family (even tho I didn't have any parmesan, or cayenne pepper). It was enough to feed a family of 5, with leftovers for my husbands lunch tomorrow. Nobody even thought to add ketchup to it either - it was THAT good! Thanks for another keeper! :)