Sweetie Pie's Mac and Cheese
photo by limeandspoontt
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 lb colby cheese
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in chunks
- 1 tablespoon whiter pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded American cheese or 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°C.
- Put pasta in 9 by 13 dish and set aside.
- Mix milks and eggs well.
- Add the butter, sour cream and colby, Montery jack, sharp cheddar and velveeta cheeses to the pasta.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over the pasta.
- Season with salt , pepper, sugar and toss.
- Sprinkle with remaining cups of American or Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or untill top is lightly browned.
Questions & Replies
see 6 more questions
FYI This is not a review, as I will be trying this recipe for a tailgate party next Saturday, but a heads up. In the video from DDD Sweetie Pie used 2 tbsp. of SOUR CREAM as well in the recipe & that ingredient has been omitted from some of the websites that posted her recipe. Sour cream definitely adds that certain something to a lot of things so its a step I wouldn't leave out, especially if you want to make her signature dish.
I made this for our community pot luck and everyone raved about it. Last week an elderly lady from the complex came up to my apartment and told me she was having a pot luck tomorrow and would I bring that "wonderful" Macaroni & Cheese. I've never been asked to a pot luck solely so I could bring a dish, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. <br/>Sweetie Pie's version of Macaroni and Cheese is a lot like what my Mother used to make. My Grandmother and my Mother are from the South and she's the only one that I know of, that made it this way.
see 62 more reviews
This is excellent. I have been searching for a mac and cheese recipe and this one is it. It is fantastic. Here are my suggestions: Substitute evaporated milk for a total of three cups of milk. Put this in a dutch oven with the eggs and cheeses (except for the mild cheddar). Cook on med/low until melted and well blended. Add the sour cream (2T) and sugar. Taste the SO DELICIOUS! I always get asked to bring this to a gathering.