Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (6 ounce) cans canned tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 cups medium hot cooked egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
- STIR soup, milk, peas, tuna and noodles in 1 1/2-qt. casserole.
- BAKE for 20 minute or until hot. Stir.
- SPRINKLE cheese over tuna mixture.
- BAKE for 2 minute more or until cheese is melted.
- TIP: Substitute your family’s favorite frozen vegetable for the peas.
I use to make this dish back in the day when the family was young and we were short of cash...DH wanted this made with some homemade canned tuna fish that friends gave us...I did add lots of pepper and salt to help bring out the flavors...this was the first dish my daughter learned how to cook with her Daddy during a period when he was laid off from work...I got to come home from my job to a nice dinner prepared by my family...those where the good old days...so I prepared this for him last night...I had ran out of milk so I used sour cream mixed with the juice from the canned tuna to equal the 1/2 cup needed...he was a happy camper...thanks for sharing the recipe...=)
I add chopped onion to mine and it makes all the difference in the world. I don't add salt but pepper is a must. I don't always add cheese either. i do add extra tuna because it seems like the cans are either smaller or not as much meat in them...My husband tolerates it but I love it and sometimes it is a pleasant change from the meat and potatoes thing.
it was okay. i too felt it was missing something. i tasted it before it went in the oven and it was tasting a bit bland. my family was done not like peas, so i added some chopped green chiles and some salt and pepper and stirred some cheese in to the mix as well. when it was done, it was good, however it was not the best tuna casserole i have ever made.