Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Caramelized pineapple and tofu is delicious and very easy to cook. Feel free to add red bell peppers, or other vegetables.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb extra firm tofu (8 ounces)
- cornstarch, to coat
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup pineapple chunk (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce (mushroom sauce or use fish sauce but won't be vegetarian)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, Minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions, Chopped
- handful fresh cilantro, Chopped
- Place tofu between paper towels and press with cast iron frying pan or something heavy for about 10 minutes to get rid of excess moisture.
- Cut into bite size pieces(about 1").
- Dredge in cornstarch to coat, shaking off excess. Fry in oil till lightly browned and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- If using canned chunk pineapple, drain juice.
- Put pineapple, garlic, vegetarian oyster sauce and water in a small pot.
- Add sugar, salt, black pepper and green onion. Stir well.
- Cook on medium heat till the water is reduced and vegetables coated. Add tofu and stir to coat.
- Top with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.
This was a nice and easy weeknight tofu dinner. Instead of peppers I added snap peas because that is what we had. It came out well...mild but a little sweet and tart too. Kids liked it as did the parents. Only thing is that unless I did something wrong, nothing is caramelized, so not so sure about the title. Thanks for the nice recipe Sharon123!