Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Caramelized pineapple and tofu is delicious and very easy to cook. Feel free to add red bell peppers, or other vegetables.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb extra firm tofu (8 ounces)
- cornstarch, to coat
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup pineapple chunk (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce (mushroom sauce or use fish sauce but won't be vegetarian)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, Minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions, Chopped
- handful fresh cilantro, Chopped
- Place tofu between paper towels and press with cast iron frying pan or something heavy for about 10 minutes to get rid of excess moisture.
- Cut into bite size pieces(about 1").
- Dredge in cornstarch to coat, shaking off excess. Fry in oil till lightly browned and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- If using canned chunk pineapple, drain juice.
- Put pineapple, garlic, vegetarian oyster sauce and water in a small pot.
- Add sugar, salt, black pepper and green onion. Stir well.
- Cook on medium heat till the water is reduced and vegetables coated. Add tofu and stir to coat.
- Top with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.
This was a nice and easy weeknight tofu dinner. Instead of peppers I added snap peas because that is what we had. It came out well...mild but a little sweet and tart too. Kids liked it as did the parents. Only thing is that unless I did something wrong, nothing is caramelized, so not so sure about the title. Thanks for the nice recipe Sharon123!