Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A rich and delicious version of eggs benedict - also happens to be vegetarian. You'll love the sauce. TIPS: Lime juice, instead of lemon, adds a little more complexity to the flavor of your sauce. Do not attempt to half the sauce recipe - all of the boiling water is needed to heat the yolks to the appropriate temperature. If you want to make this for two - or one, just freeze the rest of the hollandaise sauce for future use over asparagus, brussel sprouts or broccoli.
- 3 whole wheat English muffins
- 1 -2 avocado
- 6 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- melt butter slowly - and keep it warm.
- barely heat the lime (or lemon) juice.
- have a small pot of water boiling and a tablespoon with which to measure when ready.
- place 3 egg yolks in the top of a double boiler over medium heat (over - not in - hot water).
- beat the yolks with a wire whisk until they begin to thicken.
- add 1 tablespoon boiling water.
- beat again until the eggs begin to thicken and add another tablespoon boiling water.
- repeat this process until you have added two more tablespoons boiling water. (total 4 tablespoons boiling water to the 3 egg yolks).
- then, beat in the warm lime (or lemon) juice. remove double boiler from heat and beat the sauce well with a wire whisk while slowly adding the melted butter, salt and dash of ceyenne pepper.
- keep the sauce over the hot water - but off the burner and lightly cover it to keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- remove the avocado peel(s) and thinly slice.
- cook 6 eggs - lightly on both sides - over medium low heat - so that the center is just a bit runny and the whites are fully cooked. try not to break the yolks.
- slice and toast the english muffin halves.
- place two toasted muffin halves on each warmed plate, then one egg on each half, then arrange a few slices of avocado on top of each egg. spoon the hollandaise sauce over the top of both - and serve at once.
I made this for my DH for a late night supper. He really enjoyed it and so then I had one too! Great! Thank you adams.wifey! Made for PAC(Pick a Chef).