Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a traditional recipe from the Islands that Cape Verdeans still make. Additional seasonings are left to the cook, or table condiments can accompany the dish. This recipe was adapted from the Smithsonian Institution's, 1995 Festival of American Folklife Cookbook. Recipes for the cookbook were contributed by American Cape Verdeans who are active in preserving their cultural heritage. There are about 500,000 American Cape Vedeans.
- In a medium kettle, boil both white and sweet potatoes, about 15 minutes.
- In a large kettle, gently saute chopped onions,red and green peppers and tomatoes in oil.
- Next add fish cut into small pieces to the kettle and saute.
- Add partly cooked white and sweet potatoes, along with enough cooking water to simmer the soup.
- Simmer until potatoes and fish are done.
- Add chopped parsley and chopped scallions to the kettle.