Creamy Norwegian Fish Soup
photo by 984416
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 -5 cups fish stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped in strips
- 1 -2 cup leek, finely chopped in strips
- 1 -2 potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 12 peeled raw shrimp (approx)
- 12 mussels (approx) or 12 small scallops (approx)
- 4 -6 ounces catfish (or fish of your own choice)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lumpfish caviar (optional)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, add the flour, stir for about 2 minutes without browning the flour.
- Add the fish stock at intervals, stirring all the time, let it boil gently for 5-10 minutes.
- Melt the rest of the butter and saute the carrots and leek and potatoes, if using, for approx 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (if using) and simmer for another 5 minutes, then add the shrimps, mussels, fish and the cream.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the fish and shellfish are tender.
- Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and the lumpfish caviar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious! Just moved to the Stavanger area and wanted to recreate the recipe we had at one of the local restaurants. This is the closest I could find to the original we had before; I doubled this recipe for my family and still didn't have enough for leftovers! I added parsnips and celery, as well as adding two different types of fish (cod & salmon), I didn't include the tomato. We will be making this again soon.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello, my name is Bonnie and I am a very beautiful cat as you can see if you look at the picture at the top of this page.... What??.. I am supposed to talk about you??? But it says here: About Me!! Well all right then ...... My mom is Dutch and has moved to England in October 2007, after living 15 years in the Netherlands with my English dad. They don’t have any human children and “created” their own family, which means I have to share them with Hannah, she is a 6 years old tortie cat, Abby the dog, she is a 9 year old Beagle, and a one year old black Miniature Pincher named Poppy, I refuse to tell you my age but I am a georgious lilac British Shorthair cat!! It is obvious she adores pets just by looking at her name she uses on Zaar (many on Zaar call her Pets or Petsie Poo), her name in real life is Annelies and that is a common Dutch name. My mom always liked to cook, but since she joined Zaar it got out of control, and it doesn’t help that she is disorganized. Printed recipes everywhere in the house, the recipe binders have got bigger and just between you and me, her hips too!!! I have lived in Holland all of my life until now, but they lived in several different countries/places:- desert and coastal Oman, up North and West in Holland, Vancouver-Canada, Aberdeen- Scotland and in Norway they lived in Bergen and Oslo. We have all moved together to England, as you can see I’ve already learnt the language! I heard her say to Dad that this is the last time she moved to another country...she's had it with moving from one place to another! ( its her age...she's getting grumpy) Mom is 55 years old but I always hear her say that the date of her birthday does not mean that much to her, the date of her cancer anniversary is more important, because so far she is a survivor. Besides cooking she has other interests too, crafts, gardening and soap making. She likes Zaar and is one of the hosts on the German-Benelux Forum here on RecipeZaar. She would like to thank everybody who tries and comments on the recipes she has posted on Recipezaar, your feedback is very much appreciated. <img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/vjuhl/MEPcookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/completedbanner.gif"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"><a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a><a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a>