Recipe by -------
Minestrone is a classic Italian dish that you will love! You must try this......the original way.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Made this more than once and it was so good for DH and I every time. I replaced the kidney/navy beans with red beans twice and used navy the other time. I added an extra garlic clove, and used very crushed canned tomatoes so there werent any tomato lumps. I added already cooked chunks of chicken thy/leg which added even more flavour. I used frozen green peas, which I added near the end of cooking time. I added canned brown type fava beans once, was good. I replaced the potatoes with some seeded chopped green zucchini each time (goes better with pasta). I used homemade chicken stock in a lesser quantity and I replaced the spaghetti/rice with rice shell pasta (gluten-free) too make it look nicer. I will definitely make this one again and again.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans or 1 cup navy beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup diced raw potatoes
- 2 quarts soup stock
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti, cut into 1/2 inch pieces or 1 cup incooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried beans overnight.
- Pour oil into soup pot.
- Add garlic, onion, & vegetables.
- Cover pot & simmer 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add soaked beans, soup stock, & seasonings.
- Cover & simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Add spaghetti or rice, & simmer 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan cheese.