Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is a hand-me-down recipe that I think started with Paul Prudhomme back when he was chef at the Commander's Palace in New Orleans. A fairly rich pie. You should make the servings fairly small.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 59.14 ml firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 14.79 ml heavy cream
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml ground allspice
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
For the topping
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 177.44 ml dark corn syrup
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 2.46 ml salt
- ground cinnamon
- 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Combine the mashed sweet potatoes, both sugars, butter, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until well blended and smooth.
- Scrape the mixture into the pie shell and sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top.
- In another large mixing bowl, prepare the topping.
- Combine the granulated sugar, eggs, corn syrup, melted butter, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir until well blended and smooth.
- Scrape the mixture over the pecans.
- Bake until the pie is nicely browned, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack and serve topped with whipped cream.