1/5 Photos of Cajun Smothered Corn
From the Seattle Times newspaper, a simple and tasty side dish. This can be prepared ahead of time and rewarmed before serving. Do not add the bacon or lime juice until just before serving.ZWT South region (Cajun) and Mid-West region (corn).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 celery rib, finely minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup canned tomato, broken up
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1Put bacon into saucepan, set over medium heat and fry until crisp.
- 2Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- 3Crumble bacon; set aside.
- 4Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to pan.
- 5Saute‚ 3 minutes.
- 6Cover pan; cook 5 minutes.
- 7Add corn, tomatoes, paprika, basil, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- 8Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until corn is heated through and flavors have blended.
- 9Add bacon and lime juice.
- 10Stir 1 minute; serve.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Smothered Corn
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.0
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 300.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 8.2 g