From the Seattle Times newspaper, a simple and tasty side dish. This can be prepared ahead of time and rewarmed before serving. Do not add the bacon or lime juice until just before serving.ZWT South region (Cajun) and Mid-West region (corn).
- 3 slices bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 celery rib, finely minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup canned tomato, broken up
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Put bacon into saucepan, set over medium heat and fry until crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to pan.
- Saute‚ 3 minutes.
- Cover pan; cook 5 minutes.
- Add corn, tomatoes, paprika, basil, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until corn is heated through and flavors have blended.
- Add bacon and lime juice.
- Stir 1 minute; serve.