Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve with toast points, assorted crackers, and chips or cut up vegetables.
- 1 lb small raw shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil
- Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
- cajun seasoning (to taste) or creole seasoning (to taste)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 dashes hot sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (to taste) or 1 teaspoon creole seasoning (to taste)
- Dry shrimp off well with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with Old Bay, Cajun seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Cook the shrimp, stirring occasionally, until they turn pink and are no longer transparent.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- When cooled set aside a few shrimp for garnish.
- Place the shrimp into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Cut cream cheese into chunks and add to the shrimp.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of mayonnaise, grated onion, lemon juice, hot sauce, and Cajun seasoning, process until smooth.
- Add additional mayonnaise as needed to thin further.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Refrigerate overnight if possible, or at least one hour.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with the whole shrimp and a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning.