Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is a keeper! I absolutely loved it. I didn't have Cajun Seasoning, but I found a great recipe online (I've posted it separately). I didn't have Gruyere so I used what I had on hand, and it was still phenomenal. Recipe courtesy of Family Circle May 2010 and Rebekah Diehl-Shipper of Sterling, Ohio.
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 9 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons cajun seasoning (see Wonderful Homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe)
- 1 lb medium shrimp (thawed, peeled, and cooked)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta following package directions, about 12 minutes.
- Add peas to pasta water for last 2 minutes of cook time.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Stir in Cajun Seasoning and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in shrimp and cook 2 minutes and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in broth and milk.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning and Gruyere until smooth.
- Pour into pasta pot along with shrimp mixture.
- Toss to coat and serve immediately.