Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Cajun Creole Cooking by Terry Thompson posted to De Gustibus with Cajun Deviled Eggs
- 17 1⁄2 ounces whole kernel corn, well drained (use the microwave) or 3 cups fresh corn, off the cob (use the microwave)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup hot pickled okra or 6 green onions
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, minced, preferable flat leaf
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup herb flavored white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon creole mustard or 1 teaspoon other stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves or 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon another hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Toss all the salad ingredients together in serving bowl; set aside.
- Prepare dressing.
- In a 2 qt bowl whisk all the ingredients except the olive oil until combined.
- Add the oil in a slow steady stream whisking slightly until thickened.
- Pour the dressing over salad and use a fork to coat.
- Refrigerate and let set overnight or up to 3 days.
Made this for a Cajun themed dinner party. We boiled some crayfish and shrimp. This salad fit in perfectly and was very tasty. It's a must try recipe!
I made this last summer for a cajun potluck and my friends are still raving about it. Be warned, this dish can steal the show. Do yourself a favor, and cook whole ears of corn on the grill for this recipe. The end result is amazing. (I used about 6 ears and ended up with a huge bowl. The leftovers taste even better.)
Good salad, had several people ask me for the recipe. Added Tony Cachere's seasoning and garbanzo beans since I didn't have any peppers and had to use Dijon.