Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A zesty summer salad from the flavor center of the universe-Louisiana. Posted from an online source in response to a recipe request. Cook time is refrigeration time before serving.
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1 teaspoon other louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium onions, minced
- Whisk the mayonnaise and the mustard together.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil; mixture should retain mayonnaise consistency.
- Add the hot sauce; whisk.
- Add ketchup; whisk.
- Add the seasonings and wine vinegar.
- Beat thoroughly, slowly adding the lemon juice.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl and pour dressing over.
- Stir well, and refrigerate at least one hour (preferable overnight) before serving.
Thought I'd try a different slaw recipe and this one was a winner! We liked it being spicy. I used garlic powder and left out the peppers (didn't have any). I also cut the recipe in half since I only had 1/2 head of cabbage. Thank you so much for posting, Molly.
SOOOO delicious! I used 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder in place of the garlic salt and used green onions, I also added in a pinch of cayenne pepper for heat, I allowed it to chill for about 5 hours, thanks for posting this great recipe Molly!
I scaled this recipe down and found that I needed more mayo than called for. My slaw was a little spicier than I like so a judicious hand with the Tabasco is recommended. Thanks for sharing this interesting twist on cole slaw.