Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
As winter is winding down here in the northlands, we're "starting" to get a bit of cabin fever. So, once-a-year our church youth group hosts a cabin-fever game night. Everyone brings their favorite snack and soft drinks AND games or puzzles to share with the group. It's a free-for-all of board games, cards, and fun. Great for fellowship and laughter and wonderful memories. The first year we went, the teens went crazy over this recipe, so it's become kind-of a tradition.
- 453.59 g can refried beans
- 118.29 ml salsa or 118.29 ml picante sauce
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 226.79 g package cream cheese
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 44.37 ml mayonnaise
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
Your Choice of Toppings
- tomatoes, seeded, diced
- black olives, sliced
- green onion, sliced (including stems)
- cheddar cheese, grated
- tortilla chips
- Mix beans & salsa, spread on cookie sheet or serving tray; sprinkle cheddar over this; press lightly into bean-salsa mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, mayo & garlic powder until VERY smooth; spread over bean-cheese in pan.
- In a blender or by hand, mix avocado, onion and lemon juice until VERY smooth; spread this over HALF the cream cheese layer (some people don't like guacamole!).
- By now your kitchen should have messes on every counter!
- Over the top, in a festive arrangement, sprinkle on your choice of the toppings.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- LEFTOVERS: slop together (artfully, of course) and serve over tortilla chips OR spoon into a taco shell or on a tortilla skin. This is even good when heated up.
Well,just lead me to the cabin,with a vat of this stuff,lock the door and throw away the key...this was GREAT!! I made as written,but decided to heat it gently in the oven,just to warm it through and melt the cheese...and it was just delicious piled high on Mexicana Doritos. We loved the textures and flavours in this dip,and look forward to eating the leftovers (well there was only two of us!!) in tortillas later!! Thanks so much for posting Debber!