Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a variation of the soup used in the once popular "Cabbage Soup Diet.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 head cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 head celery, roughly chopped
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 (2 ounce) packages Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons cajun spices
- Brown the ground beef and drain thoroughly.
- In a large stock pot, combine all ingredients except cabbage and bring to a boil.
- Add about 1/4 of the cabbage and let it cook down.
- Repeat with remaining cabbage, 1/4 at a time.
- Bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 or more until all the vegetables are soft and the ground beef is tender.