Recipe by shirlmc
I like things quick, easy and healthy. This seems to fit the bill. I first saw it in a magazine and adjusted it to suit my taste.
Top Review by JOY1998
I couldn't believe this recipe when I saw it! I was just thinking I would make something like this when I saw the review and read the recipe which was similar to what I was thinking up, but a lot better. I used real garlic and extra cabbage. It is absolutely delicious and healthy. Thank you for posting this recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 1⁄3 cups broth or 2 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (less if you use broth)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet, stir the meat until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover the skillet and simmer (steam) for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once or twice to keep from sticking.
- Serve with green salad and whole wheat rolls. Have dinner on the table in less than an hour.