Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I like things quick, easy and healthy. This seems to fit the bill. I first saw it in a magazine and adjusted it to suit my taste.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 1⁄3 cups broth or 2 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (less if you use broth)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a heavy skillet, stir the meat until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover the skillet and simmer (steam) for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once or twice to keep from sticking.
- Serve with green salad and whole wheat rolls. Have dinner on the table in less than an hour.
I couldn't believe this recipe when I saw it! I was just thinking I would make something like this when I saw the review and read the recipe which was similar to what I was thinking up, but a lot better. I used real garlic and extra cabbage. It is absolutely delicious and healthy. Thank you for posting this recipe.
i fixed this for dinner the other night, and it's a nice dish! it's so cheap, easy, healthy, and tasty. please note that it did take about 10 minutes longer than stated for my rice to be cooked thoroughly. my husband is honduran, and he said it tasted (but didn't look) spanish. thanks for a successful dinner dish! made for the bargain basement tag game.