Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Much quicker and easier than making cabbage rolls, but just as delicious.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 lb ground lean pork or 1 lb turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 cups drained sauerkraut
- 2⁄3 cup rice
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water or 2 cups broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the seasonings in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion, peel and grate the carrot, and chop the celery.
- Break up the meat and cook it in a skillet until browned through. If it is very lean, you may need to add a little oil.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery after it has cooked for a few minutes.
- When the meat is browned and the vegetables softened, add the spices and mix them in.
- Let cook just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Remove the meat mixture to a very large lasagne pan or shallow casserole.
- Mix in the chopped cabbage, sauerkraut, rice and tomatoes.
- Spread evenly in the pan.
- Add the water; it should come up to near the top of the mixture.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour; stirring once in the middle.
Very tasty!! We had this for dinner the other night and it was a big hit for the man. Thanks Jenny!
I had to bake this a lot longer before it was cooked. Also, I found this dish to be acidic - I could not finish my helping.
this dish is awesome, I added some tabasco to zip it up. reheats great in the microwave! Will be making this again & again Thanks for sharing!Jenny