1/1 Photo of Cabbage Non-Rolls (Casserole)
1 hr 30 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
Much quicker and easier than making cabbage rolls, but just as delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 lb ground lean pork or 1 lb turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 cups drained sauerkraut
- 2/3 cup rice
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water or 2 cups broth
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix the seasonings in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3Peel and chop the onion, peel and grate the carrot, and chop the celery.
- 4Break up the meat and cook it in a skillet until browned through. If it is very lean, you may need to add a little oil.
- 5Add the onion, carrot and celery after it has cooked for a few minutes.
- 6When the meat is browned and the vegetables softened, add the spices and mix them in.
- 7Let cook just until the garlic is fragrant.
- 8Remove the meat mixture to a very large lasagne pan or shallow casserole.
- 9Mix in the chopped cabbage, sauerkraut, rice and tomatoes.
- 10Spread evenly in the pan.
- 11Add the water; it should come up to near the top of the mixture.
- 12Cover the pan with foil.
- 13Bake at 350°F for one hour; stirring once in the middle.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Non-Rolls (Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.2
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 81.6 mg
- Sodium 1734.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: