Recipe by Sammijo
With an Italian flavor, this one dish casserole is always a hit at dinner and pot lucks. Most never realize it is cabbage. I love being able to put this together the evening or morning before to just pop in the oven. I received this recipe at a potluck 13 years ago from a coworker who was not allowed by her peers to bring any other dish. A salad and crusty bread and your meal is complete. Weight Watchers Pts=9.62
Top Review by LizzieBug
This was easy and came together great, but I thought it was lacking a little in the flavor department. I used all spicy V8 juice and added some garlic to the onion/meat mixture, but I thought it was still kind of bland. I'll try this again using some Italian seasoning to boost the flavor.
- 1 head cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rice (instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 8 ounces spicy hot V8
- 6 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- 6 fluid ounces water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the cabbage into medium size pieces and place in the bottom of a greased 9x13 in casserole dish.
- Brown the meat and onion in a large skillet, drain well, return to skillet.
- Stir the rice, salt and pepper into the meat.
- Spoon the meat/rice mixture over the cabbage.
- In a saucepan, heat soup, V-8 juice and water to boiling.
- Pour over ingredients in casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over all.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- DON'T PEEK!