- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive)
- 2⁄3 cup diced slab bacon
- 1⁄2 head white cabbage, about 1 lb.,finely shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat the onions in the oil in a large pan for a few minutes, then add the bacon, cook until more fat runs.
- Mix in the cabbage and garlic, season with pepper and perhaps a little salt, (to taste),depending on the saltiness of the bacon.
- Cook for a few minutes until it starts to colour.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour over.
- Sprinkle with crumbs and cook in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Note: to make a complete light meal, increase the amount of bacon, mix the bread crumbs with enough grated cheese to make a generous layer on top, and cook as above.