Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Great taste!! evolved to our taste from French Country Kitchen - Ann Hughes-Gilbey
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive)
- 2⁄3 cup diced slab bacon
- 1⁄2 head white cabbage, about 1 lb.,finely shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Sweat the onions in the oil in a large pan for a few minutes, then add the bacon, cook until more fat runs.
- Mix in the cabbage and garlic, season with pepper and perhaps a little salt, (to taste),depending on the saltiness of the bacon.
- Cook for a few minutes until it starts to colour.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour over.
- Sprinkle with crumbs and cook in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Note: to make a complete light meal, increase the amount of bacon, mix the bread crumbs with enough grated cheese to make a generous layer on top, and cook as above.
Oh, Dorothy! I imagined that there must be a recipe for a dish like this out there somewhere... this is even better than I had thought it might be. Great recipe!
Cut the recipe in half for the two of us. Served as a side dish with beer steamed brats and potato wedges. Followed the recipe, it was not dry and smelled wonderful while cooking, but for some reason had a very 'eggy' taste. Any idea what might have caused that?
This is absolutely divine! Made using more bacon than recipe called for. Used homemade breadcrumbs and I did put cheese on top of crumbs. What a wonderful and simple country meal! Very satisfying! Even my 8y/o dd ate it and liked it. The other two would not try it but since she is the picky one I was thrilled. Dh liked it but was on the fence. I think he will like leftovers better in his lunch today.Will make again!