Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I've made this soup for company and it is always a hit.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium granny smith apples, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- Heat oil saucepan over medium heat. Add squash, apples and onion and cook until almost tender.
- Stir in sugar, coriander and cayenne pepper.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add broth.
- Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until squash is tender. Using a slotted spoon, place cooked squash mixture in blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend until smooth, adding enough cooking liquid to reach desired consistency.
- Heat butter in a small skillet. Add sage and cook until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Divide soup among four bowls. Drizzle each with sage butter and garnish with fried sage leaves.
What a perfect soup for the rainy days we've been having! My sage is still flourishing, luckily, because that really makes the soup. I wouldn't have thought of sage with winter squash (probably because I grew up with family who sugared any form of it to death!) I'll probably skip the cayenne, like another reviewer--it didn't add much for me, but of course my spice-o-phobe daughter picked right up on it. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing!
Tasty, elegant, and easy! Lots of fiber in this recipe too. Hubby and I did not think it had too much pepper-in fact, we added pepper to it b/c we love pepper. The fresh sage is an absolute must-adds taste plus a bit of crunch. I sort of wonder if the sugar is really necessary? Thanks Maryland Jim for sharing. Congratulations on your win for Football Pool Week #10!
This was a really good soup and very easy to make! The amount of cayenne was a bit overpowering for me so the next time I will reduce the amount of cayenne. The sage butter added a really nice touch to this light tasty soup. Congrats on your win and thanks for the recipe!I will make this again :)