Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great soup to start out any winter dinner party or meal! Cinnamon and nutmeg add a nice "holiday" touch. Can easily be made ahead of time and left to simmer, while you prepare the rest of a meal.
- 6 tablespoons chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 8 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- Saute onions (in large sauce pan) in margarine until tender.
- Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to boil; cook 25 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
- Return to saucepan to simmer, or put in crock pot and turn to "low" or "keep warm".
- Taste improves greatly if you let all ingredients simmer together for a while!