Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a light, but full flavored fall pie. If you're squash is runny and watery, try straining it over a colainder. Enjoy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1⁄2 cups butternut squash (steamed and strained)
- 3 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 9 inches pie crusts
- Add sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice together.
- In mixer; Beat eggs, add evaporated milk, then steamed and strained squash.
- Mix in sugar mixture on slow to medium speed.
- Mix well.
- Pour into piecrust.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce to 350 and bake about 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. In my oven this can be as low as 30 minutes.
Just a suggestion. The squash will be much sweeter and not runny if you bake it instead of steam it. Split the raw squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Wrap each half in aluminum foil and and bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Then all you have to do is scoop out the flesh and mix with the ingredients. Baked squash is so sweet that you can eat it right out of the shell and it does not have that washed out that that always made me hate squash in the past. Plus, when done this way, you will not have to use as much sugar.
I baked the squash as recommended and it turned out well. I made this in a casserole dish with no crust and it made for an easy and healthy dessert. Thanks for posting.
Delicious and so very easy to make that this is what I'll be making next time I need to bring something for a work morning tea. I used the Zaar Kitchen Dictionary's suggested substitution for the pumpkin pie spice but with slightly less ginger and slightly more cinnamon (personal taste preference) and I used brown sugar (slightly less than the full amount) and low-fat evaporated milk. I would like to have used even less sugar (again personal taste preference) and will further reduce it next time I make this. Baking time was 30 minutes. We are still enjoying this yummy pie! Thanks for sharing this recipe, BakinBaby. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.