1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash Gratin
1 hr 20 mins
A hearty savory fall dish! Serve with Pinot Grigio or Chenin Blanc for a wonderful Thanksgiving meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 -3 lb) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups halved and sliced onions
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups peeled peeled cored sliced apples
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb bacon, crisp cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Remove center seeds and strings, and then slice thinly.
- 2Heat butter in a skillet, over a medium flame. Add onions, salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
- 3Comine flour, brown sugar and spices. Combine apples and flour mixture toss to coat well.
- 4Place half of the squash into a buttered 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- 5Arrange half the apples in a layer on top of the squash place the remaining squash on top of the apples. Cover with the remaining apples. Top with the sautéed onions.
- 6Pour stock over all.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until squash is tender combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and bacon-mix well. Spread mixture over the gratin. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.5
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 287.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 6.4 g