Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are healthy and surprisingly light and moist! I made them for the first time today plain, and they came out great, but i think adding some sruff would be better - like chopped walnuts or fruit..
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C and lightly oil 12 muffin cups.
- In a bowl whisk the bran, flours, baking soda, and salt until well mixed.
- Whisk the buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, egg, oil and vanilla with a handheld electric beater on high speed until frothy, about 2 mins.
- Make a well in the dry ingredietns and pour in wet. Mix to combine. Don't overmix.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups and bake for about 20 mins until the tops spring back when pressed. don't overbake.